Wednesday, August 29, 2012

[172] Random #5


I really love learning new words! When I hear a new word I find interesting (or an old one I don't remember the definition of), I type it in my phone and at night, I look it up in my dictionary and write down its definition in a specific notebook I have. I started doing this in high school. Originally, I thought this would help me learn an amalgam of different words to diversify my vocabulary, but I learned very quickly that I don't retain knowledge too well if I don't apply it.. Plus, I'm very forgetful. But! I still remember amalgam! Smiles. It basically means a big melting pot (not literally), or as the dictionary says--a combination of diverse elements.

When I saw the above post on Tumblr, I actually didn't write down 'serendipity' but I should have. I'm not familiar enough with it yet to use it comfortably in a sentence.

Didja Know?
The word has been voted one of the ten English words hardest to translate...alongside spam (ex. email spam AND canned meat Spam).

Did you experience serendipity recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment