Thursday, August 9, 2012

[152] Chicago Summer Dance - The Twist

Ahh... I can't believe it took me this long to attend my first Chicago Summer Dance. At least I think it's my first one. There are no other posts about Chicago Summer Dance on this blog, so I assume it's my first...along with Venus and Jeff's first.

A brief introduction to the program. It's a really great, FREE program that takes place every summer. Every Thursday to Sunday night, the city hosts a free dance lesson. For the first hour, everyone gets on the dance floor and the instructors teach. They're always really fun, engaging, and talented instructors.

Today's lesson was The Twist. Before the session, I was just thinking we'll be doing THIS for a whole hour. Honestly, THANK GOODNESS it wasn't that. The instructor taught us a bunch of different dances from the '60s and '70s, the "Cha Cha Slides" of back-in-the-day....or for you really hip peoples, the "Wobble" of back-in-the-day. It's too bad that I don't remember any of the names of the dances we did. The only one I remember is this one called "The Roach", and it's just my luck that there are no YouTube clips of the only dance I remember the name of.

As we made our way through the hour, I kept wondering "When are we going to learn the Twist?" Of course, we eventually learned it and it's sooooo much fun!! This one was great because it's not a whole choreographed thing, and you could do it however you wanted. Jeff, Venus, this old lady who joined us, and I all had our own little ways of doing it. It was so much fun!! The old lady rocked it though! She was really nice with us throughout the night, and seriously, I don't know what she was doing that I couldn't do, but she had so much style.

So, that was the first hour of lessons with Summer Dance. Every Summer Dance session begins with instruction, and then ends with live music and just a free-for-all dance party! Woot woot! We ... did not stay for this unfortunately. Next time. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment