Thursday, August 16, 2012

[159] Becky's Birthday // Made By Me Pottery

Happy, happy birthday to my dearest sister Beeckity. For her birthday, she decided to take my cousins Judy & Lisa and I to this place called Made By Me Pottery.

Step One: Choose your thing to paint.
Seems easy enough, but nooooo. This place has a large variety of bowls, dishes, cups, and figurines of different shapes and sizes, which is exactly why step one is so difficult. Becky and the girls drove there, and I had to meet up with them after work. Even though I arrived half an hour after them, they were still deciding on what to paint by the time I got there.

After much contem-plate-ion, we all decided on a bowl. We just went for something very practical. The girls got identical small bowls, Becky got a bigger bowl, and I chose a wider, less-concave bowl. I'll put pictures of them later in this post of the final products.

Step Two: Choose your paints.
Dude! There were sooo many different colors of paints. Not only did they have every hue, they had all these special kind of paints too. Paints that were shiny, more pastel, created different effects in the kiln, etc etc. Crap. I never would have imagined there was so much variety with paint. A second overwhelming decision. Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that we got there pretty late, so we only had about two hours to do everything before they closed. FRANTIC FRANTIC!


Step Three: Paint your thing to paint with your chosen paints.
I don't know how Becky and the girls did, soooooo I will describe my process.

(Inside) - Paint random yellow blobs and lines and squiggles, and eventually transform into cartoon-y characters with black paint

(Outside) - Paint my hands with some fancy exploding paint, and attempt to put handprints along the sides of the bowl. Paint negative space with this reflective black. DONE!

Step Four: Fire!
Leave it overnight for the shop to fire it up for you and then pick 'em up later.
Here are the final results!

(Left to Right) Judy, Becky, Lisa

(Left to Right) Becky, Judy, Lisa
(Left to Right) Becky, Judy, Lisa
Mine (Outside)
Mine (Inside)


No comments:

Post a Comment