Tuesday, September 11, 2012

[185] Nervous -- Tomorrow is Fashion Show Gen Meeting

Okay, so tomorrow is the AAA Fashion Show General Meeting and I gotta talk in front of a bunch of people and then showcase a dance.

Why?

ANNOUNCEMENT TIME!
I'm AAA's Business Casual (BizCaz) Scene Coordinator!!!

That should have been news delivered long ago...this was last year's news, but I thought it may have been more appropriate now (5 months later). Okay, hmm... I think I want to go over a really long story on why I decided to apply to be scene coord and what my roles and goals are. Yes! I think I will. This is gonna be one of those TL;DR (too long; didn't read) posts, but I don't care. I'm doing it more for myself so I can remember in the future and/or for those who do care to read.

Why I Decided to Become Scene Coord?
Since high school, I always really enjoyed dancing in my living room or bathroom but also learning dances in school for the Asian American Club's annual showcase. Enter college, I've still been doing both--dancing for fun on my own and learning dances at school as part of an extracurricular organization. Throughout all these years, I've always been pretty nervous when it came to the actual showcase. I was never much of a performer, but I did the show because I loved learning, practicing, dancing, and just having fun. Although, I did really enjoy the adrenaline of just coming off stage and having completed your performance. Whether the audience thinks it's good or not, you know that you've been practicing for months now--and it's a great rewarding feeling. These shows have come to mean a lot to me.

Last year was especially a big year for me. I have worked harder than ever dedicating a lot of extra time and energy into practicing for the show. In addition, I wanted to go outside my comfort zone and even auditioned for lead role for Tango in Formal Scene and lead role for BizCaz Scene---and I got them! This was big (at least for me)! I never imagined that I would even want to be the lead. For lead, I would have to act a little, be in front all the time, do all the dances, and actually perform. But in the end, I think it went really well besides some slip ups and imperfections, but I had a lot of fun and I'm glad I did it.

Later in the year, I also challenged myself to try choreographing and teach a AAA Dance Clinic, then finally applying to a scene coord. I felt like this was the next step, and it was definitely something that interested me. The only thing stopping me was me. Before, I never imagined myself as someone making the plans, leading a group, and being in front of everyone teaching and talking. I see myself more as a student--learning everyday and excited to learn and grow, ya know? But I've been selling myself short. I have been a role model to my little cousins, planned and coordinated a health fair for Boys and Girls Club of Chicago, senior apprentice for an ASM health and fitness program, program coordinator's assistant and 3rd grade health teacher and teacher's assistant and P.E. teacher for a summer school program, assistant instructor for a teen fitness program, and logistics coordinator for an IT law firm. I was lead role, I led a clinic, and I was ready for this. I really enjoyed everything that I did, I have a lot of passion for the show, and it would be a great honor to have my own creative contribution for it. So, I decided to go for it--and I got it! Yaay!!

What is My Role as a Scene Coord?
First and foremost, I would have to choreograph pieces for the show, teach the dances, arrange formations, cut music and organize all the dancers. Most importantly, I think a big part is being there for the dancers: doing everything you can for them--facilitate their learning, their growth, and a fun environment. I'm there for them when they have questions, want extra practice, and talking to them about the school and classes and everything too.

My Goal as Scene Coord?
Firstly, I really want the dancers (or we call them "models" since our show is called a "fashion show") to really have fun every week when they come for practices. I want the group to be sort of like a family...I like to get to know my models and have them know me. Earlier in the semester, when I lead practices, I like to get there early and when models enter, we sit in a circle and we just chat about things. It sucks I can't do that anymore though, because BizCaz is after Formal Scene. Anyways, when I teach, I always start with a really fun warm-up (we've been doing The Wobble), and I try to teach the dances just as if I were teaching a friend.

My goals for the actual show are very simple. As far as the storyline goes, I did not want a love story. Also, I wanted the story (whatever it may be) to actually make sense to the audience. In previous years, sometimes the story line is very ambiguous to the those who don't know it. I think we can do a good show that the audience enjoys and understands.

.
..
...
....
.....
....
...
..
.

Okay, so as I was saying in the beginning, tomorrow is the AAA Fashion Show General Meeting. My co-coord and I have to stand up and introduce BizCaz to everyone and then at the end, we demo a little dance.

I'm still not particularly good at standing in front of a big group and talking---especially not when I'm standing up and everyone is sitting down looking up at me. Too much pressure. I'm expecting myself to be pretty awkward when talking about BizCaz....like this...


/stands in front of everyone. "Hiii..." /freezes.

And then we gotta dance too! Well, that, I'm a little less nervous about. I'll be dancing with Dan, my co-coord, and Marz too. Let's do our thang, mangg!


No comments:

Post a Comment