Friday, May 17, 2013

[1] GRE - Verbal Reasoning


Along with my friend Carmen, I am attempting to restart the [365 Blog Post Challenge]. It's probably not called that, but I will just to make it sound super cool and more legitimate. A short orientation to this challenge -- post in your blog everyday. That's about it. Let's start!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was my first day of studying for the GREs, a standardized test for graduate school. I'm taking it the end of July, so I can apply for graduate school. Yes, I should've started studying early but hush! Anyways, I started with vocabulary, which is soo hard. So many of the words I've learned in the past semester and I recognize, but I keep forgetting what the actual definitions. Hopefully a few mnemonic devices can help me out...

Here are a few words and how I'm trying to remember them.


  • Enigma (n.) - A person or thing that is puzzling or difficult to understand





    • In the Batman comics, The Riddler's name was Edward Nigma, or E. Nigma.







  • Dessicate (v.) - To dry out; to make dull





    • Silica Gel, also labeled as dessicant, commonly found in food packages remove excess humidity in the bags that would spoil the food product
    • .






Okay, the rest of the words just involve me breaking down the prefixes, roots, and suffixes... and that's boring, so I'll spare y'all.


1 comment: