Sunday, May 26, 2013

[10] Iowa Somewhere By Starved Rock...Fishing

My family (excluding Becky who was in MN) and I drove out somewhere to do some major fishing!

First, we went to Starved Rock, a beautiful tourist attraction, but we ditched that place quick after using their bathroom and then met up with some family friends who I've never met before. They were really, really nice though and they came out looking like super pros. We just followed them to some sketchy-lookin', closed off, leafy, muddy path off the side of the highway. There was a very big sign saying NO TRESPASSING but yo, they came out with a cooler, trollies, fishing lines, baits, all kinds of hooks, fishing nets--the whole shebang! They got major cred; I wasn't about to protest with them. They probably knew what they were doing.

We walked all the way through until we got to a river that was perfectly sheltered by a bridge. Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that it was pouring. The rain benefited those fishing because it helped attract fish while the bridge benefited those not fishing because it helped keep us dry---and we were able to play frisbee and dance and whatever. 

It was hilarious watching Danny and Jerry fish. They've never done it before so watching these noobs was delightful. After putting together the fishing rod, Jerry made up this hilarious horse stance technique for throwing out the line. He practiced this over and over throwing his line into this field and getting his hook caught on stems and leaves...my mom, Judy, Lisa, and I just laughed our butts off. It was so funny!! And for Danny, it was just hilarious because the rods are so tall and he was so small. It was funny to watch a little kid carry something taller than he is--especially when there was a fish on the other end. Every fish was like the length of my forearm, so I imagine they're pretty heavy. This poor guy would use all his might just to pull it out and keep the fish suspended above the ground while his dad took the fish off the hook. 



In the meantime, I taught Judy and Lisa this tutting thing that my friend Kelly taught me:



A few hours later

Everyone was done fishing and check out all the massive fish.

I taught it to Jerry too! 

Did a little grilling on the grill. Not the fish though... just other grub. We were HONGRY!


No comments:

Post a Comment