Monday, May 14, 2012

[65] First Summer Bike Ride Back in Chi

Morning
Back Wheelset #1 - Good Rim, Good Tire, Bad Tire Tube (hole)
Back Wheelset #2 - Bad Rim (too big), Bad Tire (only fits the big rim), and Good Tube

It took me a long while of mix-n-matching to find all this out. Don't ask me why. It shouldn't have been that hard. Anyways, eventually, I got the right combination and my bike was ready to ride!

Afternoon
My bike was not ready to ride! I was going to bike with my friend Shi Yu to work and four minutes in, my chain fell off and got mad tangled. It hasn't been riding smoothly because the chain was really, really, really, really rusty! It was found on the side of a bridge five years ago, and my friends and I adopted it. Since then, it's been weathered greatly. Heck! It wasn't even in good condition when we found it, and it just got worse over the years sooo....

I decided to get it a new chain. Yay! So, I bought a new chain, installed it, and took off on it! NOW, my bike was ready to ride!

Night
My bike is still not ready to ride! When I was heading home, my back tire suddenly dipped lower on the dropouts (the slots in the frame that hold the wheel axles) tilting against the frame so closely that my back tire would no longer spin. This happened as I was going downhill, so it was a very scary skid for about half a block downhill. Anyways, I eventually just jumped off my bike to check it out. The nuts were still very tight securing my back tire in place...or in misplace. It was still crooked, and there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn't pull it back up on the dropouts without loosening the nuts first.

I called up my friend Justin to tell him my problem. He told me how the frame dropouts were messed up. When Wing used it ride it, the same thing would often happen to him. (As I said before, my friend and I adopted it. This bike is sort of a hand-me-down, and now it was my turn) Luckily, Justin later brought over a wrench and helped me fix it. FINALLY, my bike was ready to ride...

...back home at least. I'm am currently frantically looking for a new bike. I don't trust this thing.


Bent Dropouts Nearly Killing Me


No comments:

Post a Comment