Thursday, October 18, 2012

HORT 105 - Pumpkin Carving


It's that time of the year again. Good ol' Hallow's Eve. To celebrate, our HORT 105 had a pumpkin carving lab. How many times do I have to reassert that this is one of the funnest classes ever!

The lab was simple: choose a pumpkin, choose your tools, and carve whatever you want in an hour.

At the end, the class voted on their 3 favorite pumpkin designs.

The pumpkin above, deservingly, won first place. It's a Angry Bird pumpkin!! Cleverly, the artist uses the pumpkin stem as a beak and leftover pieces as its wings and mohawky thing.

My pumpkin, pictured below, deservingly, received zero votes. It was a sad attempt to recreate Cinderella's pumpkin carriage with a silhouette of Cinderella riding inside. Was this an overambitious project given the short amount of time, lack of experience, and lack of ability? Simply -- yes.
Reality
Expectation
...which still isn't that good.

Whatever. I tried. & it was soo much fun! We got to keep the pumpkin too, so cleaned that baby up and took it back to the apartment, excited to cook it for dinner. Little did I know, these are different kinds of pumpkins. The kind you eat is softer and less stringy. The kind you carve is much harder and super stringy. No wonder it took me over an hour to cut off the rind (outer peel), clean it out, and chop it up. The kind you carve is also much blech-er. It takes forever to prepare, forever to cook through it's rough meat, and it does not retain flavor. That was like a good three weeks of eating pumpkin and hating it --- because I refused to let a good pumpkin go to waste.

P.S. In the end, I don't think I was able to finish it all. Pumpkins are HUGE (and no one wanted to help me eat it).

No comments:

Post a Comment