Friday, December 16, 2011

Carle Volunteer - Acute Care

Last year, I volunteered at Carle Hospital's Rehab Unit. I helped an Occupational Therapist (OT) assist in activities of daily living (cleaning, dressing) and start rehabilitation exercises.

This semester, I volunteered at Carle Hospital's Acute Care Unit. In this unit, the patients aren't in rehab yet. This department of OTs are in charge of assessing whether or not a patient needs OT. I shadowed an OT as we went around to all parts of the hospital--Cardiac Center, Primary Stroke Center, Intensive Care Unit (ICU) etc--to evaluate the patients' level of functioning.

I can't wait until I can continue next semester. Hopefully, my schedule permits me to volunteer in Outpatient. When I first volunteered in Carle Hospital's Rehab Unit, that was inpatient. After their time there, some patients would go to an outpatient facility (out of the hospital) where they continue their rehabilitation. During outpatient, patients are usually stronger and more independent. They've regained a lot of strength, but they may still need help getting back to their normal level of daily life functioning. For example, if a stroke patient has lost their ability to use their right side but they're strong enough to work with their left arm and leg, during outpatient therapy the individual may work on adapting new ways to cook and clean and change and bathe. They're relearning skills to regain their independence.

I haven't had an opportunity to observe here yet, but we'll see....maybe next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment